Tuesday 1 February 2011

Media Development


This is a double page spread from a sketchbook for my Unit 3 Illustration Project in Graphics. It shows how I developed the illustration using different types of transfers, media and backgrounds (left to right): 
  • Gesso transfer on mount board 
  • Sticky-back-plastic transfer on book pages 
  • Emulsion transfer on book pages
  • Acrylic gel transfer on book pages and emulsion 
I prefer the illustrations which have book page and emulsion backgrounds as the texture of the paint allows the colour of the pages to show through giving the image more perceived depth. The emulsion also isolates the drawing therefore reducing the amount of distraction caused by the text on the book pages. I used a typewriter to create the text on the illustrations on the right-hand page (this stands off of the main background on separate pieces of paper) as this ties in with the old feel created by the aged book pages. This also allowed me to type directly onto painted paper. I like to experiment with different types of media when developing ideas as it allows me to manipulate elements in order to create texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment